Thursday, 16th February 2023, from 10:00 to 13:00 h. CET (UTC+1)
Venue: Espacio Bertelsmann (c/ O’Donnell nº 10, Madrid)
Solar energy is presented in the European response plan to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, known as REPowerEU, as key in fostering EU’s strategic autonomy, climate change mitigation efforts and industrial competitiveness. Ahead of the International Renewable Energy Conference (IREC) to be held in Madrid, and with the sponsorship of Solaria, the Elcano Royal Institute is organising an event with experts and relevant stakeholders from the private sector to provide recommendations to accelerate and increase the deployment of renewable energies. The event will address the following topics:
a) The contribution of solar PV to the strategic autonomy of the European Union.
b) Solar PV and its contribution to climate change mitigation.
c) Solar PV energy as a driver of industrial competitiveness.
d) REPowerEU: towards accelerated deployment of solar PV.
e) New electricity interconnections for a functional Energy Union.
10:15 Round table: “The vision of companies: solar energy and strategic autonomy in the EU”
- Arturo Díaz-Tejeiro, CEO, Solaria | @diaz_tejeiro
- Miguel de la Torre, Deputy Director of System Development, Red Eléctrica | @RedElectricaREE
- Rafael González, Head of Iberia, ENEL | @EnelGroup
- Julio Castro, CEO, Iberdrola Renewables | @iberdrola
- Javier Anzola, Director, Retail Electricity and Gas, Repsol | @JavierAnzolap
- Moderator: Lara Lázaro, Senior Analyst, Elcano Royal Institute | @lazarotouza
11:30 Coffee break
12:00 Round table: “The end of the energy trilemma: climate, prices and energy sovereignty”.
- Marina Serrano, President, Asociación de Empresas de Energía Eléctrica (aelēc) | @aelec_es
- Juan Bogas Gálvez, Director, Market Monitoring, OMEL
- Mikel González-Eguino, Senior Researcher, BC3 (Basque Center for Climate Change) | @BC3Research
- Asunción Ruiz Guijosa, Executive Director, SEO BirdLife | @SEO_BirdLife
- Moderator: Gonzalo Escribano, Senior Analyst and Director of the Energy and Climate Change Programme, Elcano Royal Institute | @g_escribano
– The event will be held in Spanish without simultaneous translation
– If you are planning to attend in-person, please register here
– The event will also be live streamed on the Elcano Royal Institute’s YouTube channel. On-line attendance does not require registration
– Questions from on-line audience can be sent by email to email@example.com or via Twitter using the event hashtag.