José Juan Ruiz (1957), currently Chairman of the Elcano Royal institute, has been a member of its Scientific Council for a decade. An economist by training, he is a member of the Spanish Civil Service. Throughout his professional life he has held positions in the Ministry of the Economy and in the private sector –as Chief Economist of Argentaria, AFI and Banco Santander Latin America–-, while more recently he was Chief Economist and Director of Research at the Inter-American Development Bank. He is currently a member of the Economic Affairs Advisory Council of the Spanish Government’s First Deputy Prime Minister.
He has extensive experience in international organisations and has been a board member of various public and private companies and a University lecturer. He also served as President of the Social Council of the University of Castilla-La Mancha. A frequent contributor to the media, he has been a member of the editorial boards of Política Exterior, Prisa and Grupo Recoletos.
- Presentation of the Elcano Global Presence Report 2022 (2022)
- Rountable ‘European security after Ukraine: The role of defence innovation’ (2022)
- Seminar ‘Geopolitical pathways for the energy transition: Middle East’ (2022)
- #EncuentrosElcano with Josep Borrell (2022)
- Webinar ‘Envisioning a future EU-Japan Digital Partnership: A stepping stone towards greater influence in the digital transition?’ (2022)
- Conversation with Guillermo Larraín on the occasion of the publication of his book “The stability of the social contract in Chile” (2022)
- Presentation Elcano Policy Paper "Industrializar la digitalización" (2022)
- Conversation with Nadia Calviño and Paschal Donohoe on the “Opportunities for the euro area in the context of the recovery” (2022)
- Online presentation event Elcano Policy Paper "A proposal to reform the EU’s fiscal rules" (2022)