In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 (“GDPR”), we hereby notify you that the data of a personal nature collected via this Website will be incorporated into the database of the Elcano Royal Institute Foundation of International and Strategic Studies, with offices at Príncipe de Vergara 51, 28006 Madrid. Your data of a personal nature will be processed to manage your relationship with the Elcano Royal Institute and, on the basis of the explicit consent you provide in the pertinent form, send you our electronic publications and invitations. We will also use your data for the internal compilation of statistics. The legal basis for processing your data of a personal character is your consent and the Elcano Royal Institute’s reasonable interest in compiling statistics and improving its services. Your data will not be passed on to third parties.
In accordance with the aforementioned regulations, you can exercise your rights of access, rectification, cancellation, restriction, portability and opposition by notifying the Elcano Royal Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your data will be processed for as long as you continue your relationship with the Elcano Royal Institute and once this relationship ceases until such time as legal responsibilities can still be derived. In the event that you believe your rights have not been duly respected you may take your claim to the Spanish Data Protection Agency (www.agpd.es).
Fundación Real Instituto Elcano de Estudios Internacionales y Estratégicos
c/ Príncipe de Vergara, nº 51
28006 Madrid – Spain
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files sent to your device every time you visit our website; the term “device” refers to a personal computer (PC), tablet, mobile phone, or any other device you use to access the website. The cookies are stored on the hard drive of your computer, thereby enabling the website to recognise you and store certain information relating to you, with the goal of enabling or improving the service being offered.
Type of cookies
There are various types of cookies, depending on the entity that manages them, the period of time that they remain active and their purpose. It should also be borne in mind that a single cookie may be included in more than one category. Thus:
- Depending on the entity that manages the equipment from which the cookies are sent and processes the data that are obtained, we can distinguish between “first-party cookies” (those that are sent to your device from a computer or domain managed by the editor of the website and from which the service requested by you is provided) and “third-party cookies” (those that are sent to your device from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor of the website and from which the service requested by you is provided).
- Depending on the length of time that they remain active on the device, we can distinguish between “session cookies” (cookies designed to gather and store data while you access a website) and “persistent cookies” (cookies in which the data continues to be stored on the device and may be accessed and processed for a certain period by the person in charge of cookies, and may last for some minutes or various years).
- Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through the cookies is processed, it is possible to distinguish between:
- «Technically essential cookies»: necessary cookies that enable you to browse a website, platform or application and the essential functionalities of the site, which are activated automatically on using the site;
- «Functionality cookies»: cookies that enable additional functionalities such as saving preferences, allowing social media interactions and analysing usage to optimise the website;
- «Personalisation cookies»: cookies that enable the service to be accessed with certain predefined general characteristics depending on a series of criteria on the device, such as the language;
- «Analytical cookies»: cookies that enable the person in charge of cookies to monitor and analyse your behaviour on the websites to which they are linked. The information collected by this type of cookie is used in measuring the activity on websites, applications and platforms and to construct browsing profiles for the users of such websites, applications and platforms, with the goal of introducing enhancements based on analysing the service-users’ usage data, differentiating between: (i) “advertising cookies” (enabling the management of advertising space that, if applicable, the editor may have included in his or her website) and (ii) “behavioural advertising cookies” (cookies that enable the management of advertising space and store information about your behaviour, obtained via continuous observation of your browsing habits, enabling a specific profile to be developed to show advertising).
Moreover, the information collected by cookies enables us to improve the Websites using estimations about the numbers and patterns of usage, adapting it to your individual interests, speeding up searches, etc.
Elcano does not have access to and does not exercise any type of control over the cookies and other monitoring technologies that are used on third-party websites that you access via the Websites; not does it have access to or exercise any control over the availability of any content or materials that are published or obtained via such third-party websites or the related methods of processing personal data; consequently, Elcano explicitly rules out any liability stemming from this.
Cookies used by Websites and their purpose
We offer you a list of the cookies used both by the Websites, with the purpose of each:
- WordPress Stats
Third-party technical-functional cookies (WordPress): used for measuring the visits received by a website and the most popular entries and pages.
- Google Tag Manager
Essential technical third-party cookies (Google) used to ensure that the Websites function correctly.
- Google Analytics
Third-party analytical cookies (Google) used to measure users’ interactions on websites.
Third-party analytical cookies (ClickDimensions) used to measure users’ interactions on websites.
- Twitter Button / Syndication
Third-party technical-functional cookies (Twitter) used to enable the social media functions of Twitter.
- Facebook Social Graph / Connect
Third-party technical-functional cookies (Facebook) used to enable the social media functions of Facebook.
Third-party advertising cookies (Google), loaded by iframe YouTube.
- Cedexis Radar
Third-party technical-functional cookies (Cedexis) used to monitor performance, loaded by iframe Flickr.
- LinkedIn Widgets
Third-party technical-functional cookies (LinkedIn) used to enable the social media functions of LinkedIn.
It should be borne in mind that, in those case where the aforementioned cookies are operated by third parties, the third parties will access the information gathered by the cookies.
Information about the cookies used by the Websites be updated as quickly as possible as and when the services offered by the Websites change. From time to time during such updates however, it is possible that certain cookies fail to appear, although it will always be a case of cookies with purposes identical to those featured on this list.
When you access the Websites, you will be asked about your unequivocal acceptance of the cookies employed by Elcano for the aforementioned uses; you may also withdraw this authorisation at any time.
How to disable, block or delete cookies
You can allow, block or delete the cookies installed on your device by changing the browser settings:
Internet Explorer: Tools → Internet options → Privacy → Settings → Advanced. For more information you can consult Microsoft support or Help on your browser.
Firefox: Tools → Options → Privacy & Security → History → Cookies and site data. For more information you can consult Microsoft support or Help on your browser.
Chrome: Settings → Privacy and security → Cookies and other site data. For more information you can consult Google support or Help on your browser.
Safari: Preferences → Privacy. For more information you can consult Apple support or Help on your browser.
Edge: Settings → Site permissions → Cookies and site data. For more information you can consult Microsoft support or Help on your browser.
Disabling cookies may restrict your capacity to use the Websites and prevent you from benefitting from all the features and services they offer.
If you have any queries about this Cookies Policy you can contact us via the «Contact»links on the Websites.