Thursday, 28th September 2023, from 13:45 to 16:45 ET.
Venue: 7th floor – ICC Building, Main Campus, Georgetown University, Washington DC
The presidency of Spain of the Council of the EU provides an opportunity to review and analyse the challenges facing the European Union in the medium and long term and how to respond to them. Analysts from different think-tanks on both sides of the Atlantic will address everything from open strategic autonomy to the search for new partnerships, without forgetting the war in Ukraine and the transatlantic relationship.
14:00 Welcome and opening remarks
- Santiago Cabanas, Ambassador of Spain to USA
- Juan Luis Manfredi, Prince of Asturias Chair, Georgetown University
14:15 Panel 1: How is the EU responding to new challenges? Open strategic autonomy, the green deal, and the quest for new partnerships.
- Robert Benson, Center for American Progress
- Federico Steinberg, Senior Analyst, Elcano Royal Institute / Visiting Fellow, CSIS
- Raquel Jorge, Analyst, Elcano Royal Institute
- Moderator: Juan Luis Manfredi, Prince of Asturias Chair, Georgetown University
15:15 Panel 2: Europe and the wider world: managing Chinese assertiveness, Russia’s war on Ukraine, and the transatlantic relationship.
- Federico Borsari, Leonardo Fellow, Center for European Policy Analysis
- Charles Powell, Director, Elcano Royal Institute
- Maria Snegovaya, CSIS
- Moderator: Carlota García Encina, Elcano Royal Institute
– The event will be held in English without simultaneous translation
– Previous registration is required here.