Wednesday, 27th September 2023, from 11:00 to 13:30 h. CEST (UTC+2) / From 18:00 to 20:30 JST (UTC+9)
Venue: Asociación de la Prensa de Madrid (c/ Claudio Coello no. 98, Madrid)
This seminar will explore venues for enhanced like-minded security cooperation between Japan and European members of NATO, building on the interconnectedness and indivisibility of security between the Atlantic and the Indo-Pacific and the strategic rapprochement between NATO and its Asia-Pacific partners, highlighted during the latest NATO’s Madrid and Vilnius summits.
It will provide crossed perspectives from Japanese and European government officials and experts and cover current and future areas of cooperation through the NATO platform, from systemic dialogue to practical interoperability and cooperation, including information sharing, joint training, maritime security, hybrid threats like cyberattacks and disinformation, or emerging and disruptive technologies, as ambitioned in the recent NATO-Japan Individually Tailored Partnership Programme 2023–2026.
Programme and participants:
11:00 CEST Registration and coffee
11:30 CEST Welcoming words
- José Juan Ruiz, Chairman, Elcano Royal Institute | @ElcanoJjRuiz
- Takahiro Nakamae, Ambassador of Japan in Spain| @embajadorjpnesp
11:45 CEST Keynote speech: On the engagement of NATO and NATO’s European member states to global security, the Indo-Pacific and the key role of security cooperation with Japan
- Luis Simón, Director of the Office in Brussels and Senior Analyst, Elcano Royal Institute | @LuisSimn
12:00 CEST Panel: NATO’s Asia-Pacific partnerships: An instrument for enhanced security cooperation between Japan and Europe?
- Ryosuke Tanaka, Research Fellow, National Institute for Defense Studies (NIDS) | @Nids1952
- Sophie Larder, Officer, Global Partnerships, Political Affairs and Security Policy Division, NATO
- Stefania Benaglia, Head of the Global Connectivity Programme, Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS) | @stebenaglia
- Chair: Mario Esteban, Senior Analyst, Elcano Royal Institute | @wizma9
13:30 CEST End of roundtable
– The event will be held in English without simultaneous translation.
– If you are planning to attend in-person, please send RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– The event will also be live streamed on the Elcano Royal Institute’s YouTube channel. On-line attendance does not require registration.
– Questions from on-line audience can be sent by email to email@example.com or via Twitter using the event hashtag #EUJapanCooperation.