Tuesday, 27th September 2022, from 18:00 CEST (UTC+2)
Venue: Official Residence of the Spanish Ambassador to Belgium, Marqués de Villalobar (Rue Montoyer, 26, 1000 Brussels)
- Valdis Dombrovskis, European Commission Executive Vice-President for an Economy that Works for People and Commissioner for Trade | @VDombrovskis
- José Manuel Albares, Spanish Minister for Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation | @jmalbares
- Moderated by Charles Powell, Director, Elcano Royal Institute | @CharlesTPowell
The Russian invasion of Ukraine, and the firmly European response, is carrying important social and economic consequences. Moreover, this situation is having a deep impact with structural effects that will require a clear and strong political leadership from the EU and its Member States.
In this sense, the Ukrainian war has relaunched different dossiers that have been stagnated for decades, such as moving towards the energy independence, renovating the asylum and migration pact or equipping the EU with more security and defense capabilities and an agile decision making process. Furthermore, the new candidate status of Ukraine, but also Moldova, forces the EU to rethink its relationship with the Eastern Partnership. Taking into account the enlargement fatigue in the Western Balkans, the EU must be able to design a credible and constructive roadmap towards the EU. This also implies considering alternative and innovative solutions such as the proposal for a European Political Community that, at the same time, could offer a political framework for the whole continent in the aftermath of the war. The implementation of the Conference on the Future of Europe could also serve as a plan to define priorities and objectives.
It is too soon to have a glimpse of the future of the European integration. However, this event, after the latest State of the Union Address by President von der Leyen, could be an important contribution so that citizens and all those involved in EU action perceive the sense of direction they are expecting from the EU and its Member States.
- The event will be held in English without simultaneous translation
- Please, register here before 26th September at 11:30 CEST.