In the framework of the 5th Centenary of the expedition of Ferdinand Magellan and Juan Sebastian Elcano, the Elcano Royal Institute and the Centre for International Studies of the University Institute of Lisbon (CEI-Iscte) have carried out a reflection on the relevance of this event for the process of globalisation, its evolution over these five centuries and the changing role of Spain and Portugal in the world order.
This book, written by a multidisciplinary group of experts, is divided into two parts. The first, with a historical focus, describes Spain and Portugal in the processes of globalisation from the 16th to the 20th century, while the second part explores the insertion of Portugal and Spain in today’s globalisation, with a detailed study of the projection of both countries in the economic, military and soft spheres.
- José Juan Ruiz, Chairman, Elcano Royal Institute | @ElcanoJjRuiz
- Juan Marchena, America History Professor, Universidad Pablo de Olavide | @pablodeolavide
- Iliana Olivié, Senior Analyst, Elcano Royal Institute | @iolivie
- Pedro Seabra, Researcher, Centro de Estudios Internacionales del Instituto Universitario de Lisboa (CEI-Iscte) | @PNSeabra
- Moderator: María Solanas, Director of Programmes, Elcano Royal Institute | @Maria_SolanasC
Friday, 9th September 2022, from 12:30 to 13:30 h. CEST (UTC+2). Venue: Salón de Actos, Archivo General de Indias (c/ Santo Tomás nº 5 , SEVILLA)
- Read and dowlnoad the Spanish version España y Portugal en la globalización. 500 años de la primera circunnavegación.
- Portuguese Version: Espanha e Portugal na globalização. 500 anos desde a primeira circum-navegação.