Wednesday, 28th June 2023, from 10:30 to 14:00 h. CEST (UTC+2). Venue: Asociación de la Prensa de Madrid (c/ Claudio Coello, 98, Madrid).
Building on the political and strategic rapprochement between NATO and its Asia-Pacific partners (AP4), emphasized during NATO’s 2022 Madrid Summit, this public seminar, organized in collaboration with the Korean Foundation, will gather South Korean, Japanese, Spanish and European government officials, business representatives, and academic experts to share and disseminate cross-country perspectives on the benefits of enhanced like-minded cooperation on security between European members of NATOS and the AP4, focusing on the special case of South Korea.
To do so, it will elaborate on the strategic interconnectivity between Europe and the Indo-pacific and detail shared views on the role of NATO-AP4 cooperation to promote European and AP4 strategic interests and global influence. In addition, it will discuss practical cooperation opportunities and challenges related to ‘soft’ and ‘hard’ security aspects, including cyber and maritime security, industrial cooperation and security in the Korean Peninsula.
10:30 Welcoming words
- Charles Powell, Director, Elcano Royal Institute | @CharlesTPowell
- Hyuncheol Jang, Minister, Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Spain.
10:45 Keynote speech
- Federico Torres, Permanent Representative of Spain to NATO | @SpainNATO
11:00 Panel 1: NATO and P4’s converging security interests and strategies
- Ángel Gómez de Ágreda, Spanish Air Force Colonel and Defense Attaché in Seoul, Ministry of Defence of Spain | @AngelGdeAgreda
- Hideshi Tokuchi, President, Research Institute for Peace and Security (RIPS) and Visiting Professor and Senior Fellow, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS) | @RIPS_admin
- Jina Kim, Dean, Division of Language and Diplomacy, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies.
- Oskar Pietrewicz, Senior Analyst, Polish Institute of International Affairs (PISM) | @OskarPietrewicz
Chair: Luis Simón, Director of the Office in Brussels and Senior Analyst, Elcano Royal Institute | @LuisSimn
12:45 Panel 2: Advancing ROK-NATO relations: Opportunities for European and Asian security cooperation
- María Ángeles Marti, SVP, Tanker, Transport and Mission Programs, Airbus Defence and Space.
- Myong-Hyun Go, Senior Fellow, Asan Institute for Policy Studies | @GoMyongHyun1
- Ramón Pacheco Pardo, Professor, King’s College and KF-VUB Korea Chair, Brussels School of Governance, Vrije Universiteit Brussels | @rpachecopardo
- Yoon Jung Choi, Director, Center for Indo-Pacific Studies, Sejong Institute.
Chair: Mario Esteban, Senior Analyst, Elcano Royal Institute | @wizma9
14.00 End of the seminar