- Project name: IBERIFIER
- Title: Iberian Digital Media Research and Fact-Checking Hub
- Objective: IBERIFIER is tasked with undertaking research on digital media and monitoring disinformation threats in Spain and Portugal. It will be one of eight regional hubs that make up the European Digital Media Observatory (EDMO).
- Agreement no.: INEA/CEF/ICT/A2020/2381931
- Project code: 2020-EU-IA-0252
- Duration: September 2021 – February 2024 (30 months)
Led by the University of Navarra, the Iberian Digital Media Research and Fact-Checking Hub (IBERIFIER) project is tasked with undertaking research on digital media and monitoring disinformation threats in Spain and Portugal. It will be one of eight regional hubs to form part of the European Digital Media Observatory (EDMO).
The project is focused on five core areas:
- Researching the characteristics and trends of the Iberian digital media ecosystem.
- Developing software for the early detection of disinformation.
- Verifying and debunking disinformation in Spain and Portugal, reporting to the European Commission.
- Preparing strategic reports on disinformation threats for both the general public and authorities in Spain and Portugal.
- Working on media literacy initiatives for journalists, information providers, young people and society as a whole.
The launch of IBERIFIER represents a major landmark in digital media research. The project will see the creation of a ground-breaking observatory comprising over 70 specialist researchers in areas such as digital communications and computer and data science.
The project has received €1.47 million of funding from the European Commission to coordinate a consortium of 23 Spanish and Portuguese institutions, comprising 12 universities, five fact-checking organisations and news agencies, and six multidisciplinary research centres, which will join forces to create a new digital media observatory.
- University of Navarra
- University Institute of Lisbon – ISCTE
- University of Granada
- University Carlos III of Madrid
- University of Santiago de Compostela
- Polytechnical University of Valencia
- Polytechnical University of Madrid
- Miguel Hernández de Elche University
- University of Valencia
- University of Aveiro
- San Pablo–CEU University Foundation
- King Juan Carlos University
Fact-checking and news agencies
- EFE Verifica
- Associació Verificat
- Inevitável and Fundamental – Polígrafo
- Lusa – Agência de Noticias de Portugal
Other research centres
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Centro Protocolar de Formação Profissional para Jornalistas – Cenjor
- OberCom – Observatório da Comunicação
- Associação Literacia Para os Media e Jornalismo